VSC principal Bill Van Slyke has more than 20 years experience in communications, advocacy, media and public relations, crisis management, policy making, marketing and issue campaigning. He started his professional life as a journalist, sparking a career that has spanned a unique blend of experiences and perspectives.
He has served as:
- Deputy Commissioner for Administration and Public Affairs at the New York State Department of Health where he was responsible for agency communications, media relations, advertising and operations;
- Press Officer to Governor George E. Pataki where he served as spokesperson for the governor and oversaw media relations, advertising and communications for more than a dozen high profile state agencies;
- Deputy Commissioner for Public Affairs at the NYS Office of Children and Family Services;
- Aide to members of the NYS Assembly and Senate where he was responsible for various communications activities.
After leaving government in 2005, Bill served for many years as:
- Vice President for Communications and Marketing at the Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) where he was primarily responsible for developing communication strategies and tactics related to advocacy, member engagement, media relations and marketing.
During his time at HANYS, Bill concurrently served as a Trustee for Columbia Memorial Health, a regional multi-specialty and primary care health system headquartered in Hudson, New York. He has served the last several years as CMH’s Vice President for Patient Experience and External Affairs.
Early in his career, Bill also served as a social worker providing case management services to the homeless and foster care populations in New York City, and mental health case management
services in Albany, NY.
Communication is everything. It's your process and your product. It's your biggest problem and your best solution. It's your reputation and your relevancy.
Mediocrity feeds on vagueness and assumption, yet a clear communication plan too often is the one element of strategic development and implementation that’s overlooked or taken for granted.
Well planned and executed communication is essential to realizing the full potential of any strategy.
VSC will lead your team through a comprehensive plan to ensure your messages drive and fulfill your organizational goals.
Strategic Communications Planning
Media Relations/Crisis Management
Resonant Marketing Propositions
Issue Campaign Development